Wednesday, September 10, 2008

World Suicide Prevention day

Today is world suicide prevention day. A sort of CELEBRATION for leading seminarists to prepare papers, discuss, give advice and find reasons etc.Bangalore where i live with the best mental health institution in India NIMHANS still it is called SUICIDE CAPITAL OF INDIA with 25000 attempts every year.
Parents are advised not to put stress in the lives of students, IT experts who wow the world are told to see warning signs, behavioral changes,lifestyle changes etc. IT professionals are asked to go to Psychiatrists for counseling when they see the warning signs. I used to wonder what more stress these IT professionals face which is not faced by our soldiers in borders or ATC controllers who control aircraft's in bad weather or a surgeon who conducts a pinhole surgery etc etc?
What i find still more intriguing is the utter lack of concern by mental health professionals when it comes to SUICIDE OF OUR FARMERS which at last count was 5 lakhs in Maharashtra alone!!!Why it is STRESS in case of our IT professionals becomes a social issue in the case of farmers which is caused due to politicians of greed,bureaucratic in efficiency,drunkenness,failing monsoons,bad planning by our food ministry and of course the activities of loan sharks etc etc.No HELPLINE for these farmers. Why?
It is also intriguing that in India we have the most suicides in the most PROGRESSIVE STATE IN INDIA KERALA WITH HIGHEST FEMALE LITERACY and way ahead of Bihar in every social development index.Kosi doesnot induce suicides in Bihar and PTSD for them!!!
I hear JAPAN which is a member of G8 and RICHEST COUNTRY IN ASIA is having the highest rate of suicides in the world. DOES WEALTH PRODUCE Suicides?
It is rumoured that Japan even has advice for suiciders NOT to Kill themselves in front of bullet train as it involves lot of cost to exchequer and so they are advised to kill themselves by just walking to jungles surrounding their holy mountain!!!The same Japanese talk to India about human rights!
I know i might have killed myself when my dad didn't send me to a excursion which he could not afford in which my childhood crush was going! He gave me a rope and asked me to try. I just could NOT though i acted with a covert eye that they will also keep watch on me! Again i felt like walking into sea when i was unemployed for nearly two years but those giant waves were realy fearsome.But when my only daughter became schizophrenic and now i want to live more because i FEAR for her security after my death and how India treats their psycho social disabled.It is this poor condition of Indian social security system which makes me to yearn for more life!!!
SUCIDE IS ACTUALLY A COWARDLY ACT AND IT SHOULD BE TREATED AS SUCH. THERE IS NO GLORY FOR COWARDS. AS PATTON SAID ""I DONOT APPRECIATE THOSE BASTARDS WHO DIE FOR THEIR COUNTRY BUT APPRECIATE THOSE BASTARDS WHO MAKE THE OTHER BASTARD DIE FOR HIS COUNTRY!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments: